When it comes to productivity, there are a few things that you need to bear in mind at all times. Of course, your productivity depends largely on how dedicated and committed you are to the task at hand but it also depends on certain external or environmental factors. While it is true that you may not be able to control all these external factors, there are a few things that can definitely be under your control. Let us look at these factors or potential distractions that can cause a major disruption in your quality and efficiency of work.
As mentioned above, the distractions or time wasters are a part of our everyday life. By removing these time wasters or distractions, we can quite easily make our day more productive by accomplishing a lot more than it normally would have seemed possible. So, here is the list of the possible and potential distractions. While most of the list below is focused at minimizing workplace distractions, many of these can be applied through other areas of your life and can be beneficial across all activities that demand your serious focus and concentration. Here are some tips with all your time wasters and how you can prevent them from making your day unproductive.
- Mobile Phone
Now, a mobile phone is typically the most important device that we all use and it wouldn’t be wrong to say that it is something we cannot function without. But, this very important device can be one of the major distractions in your everyday life. In order to turn it in to a boon rather than a bane for your productivity, here is what you can do –
- When busy, turn your phones into silent mode. But if you think, you may miss out on important calls; you can always create a custom profile setting that allows you to turn off the volume of texts and other notifications except calls.
- In case of extremely busy times, use your voice mail service. Set aside time to return back the calls you had missed.
- Walk while you talk on your mobile. Research studies indicate that people who stand while they talk on phone tend to keep their conversations brief and to the point.
Internet has become an indispensable part of our lives. Taking that, most of us today interact using emails and this is not just to do with professional mails but even personal mails or other emails including marketing mails, promotional mails, span messages and others. Here is how your emails can become productive for you –
- Do not constantly check your emails. Keep it for regular intervals based on the kind of job or the kind of work you do and how important emails are in this.
- Don’t keep spam lying in your inbox. Delete all unwanted emails immediately.
- Attend to emails immediately instead of marking them unread and planning to come back to the tasks later.
- Family commitments
Family and friends can help you a great deal in dealing with stressful situations but at the same time, spending too much time with your family can imply wasting your productive time. In order to make sure that your family commitments do not interfere with your productivity, let your friends and family know about your important tasks and keep them informed of your deadlines. This will help them either plan family gatherings accordingly or they would at least not ask for explanations if you end up missing out on any family events.
The above are just the most common distractions but there can be several others such as stress, impromptu visitors and others that can be just as disruptive to your productivity as the above mentioned distractions.